To provide a credential for individuals who are not eligible for certification by the American Board of Oral Medicine, but who demonstrate proficiency in diagnosis and management of oral mucosal diseases, difficult oral/dental diagnoses, orofacial pain, and dental management of medically complex patients.
To improve access to oral medicine services by enabling other medical and dental professionals and members of the public to identify, by virtue of the Academic Fellowship credential, practitioners with demonstrated proficiency in oral medicine, where display of such credentials is permitted by law.
To encourage practitioners to pursue higher levels of knowledge and skill in the practice of Oral Medicine by formally recognizing such attainment with the Academic Fellowship credential.
Applications for the Academic Fellowship Examination are due to the Academy office sixty days prior to the Annual Meeting. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline. The application process for the 2011 Annual Meeting has closed. Please submit your application by Friday, February 17, 2012 to qualify to sit for the Academic Fellowship Examination at the 2012 AAOM Annual Meeting in Charleston, South Carolina.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Membership in the American Academy of Oral medicine for at least two (2) years.
- Attendance of at least two (2) annual meetings, one of which may be the year the examination is taken.
- Demonstration of proficiency in oral medicine through teaching oral medicine, a residency program, hospital affiliation, oral medicine publications, and continuing education courses in oral medicine.
- Submission of an application form and a curriculum vitae documenting items in #3
- Successful completion of a written examination to be given at the annual meeting.
Click here to download the Fellowship Examination Application
Click here for resources for the Fellowship Examination.
Click here for the AAOM Academic Fellowship Mock Examination
Click here for the AAOM Academic Fellowship Mock Examination Key