To provide a credential for individuals who are not eligible for certification by the American Board of Oral Medicine, but who demonstrate proficiency in diagnosis and management of oral mucosal diseases, difficult oral/dental diagnoses, orofacial pain, and dental management of medically complex patients.To improve access to oral medicine services by enabling other medical and dental professionals and members of the public to identify, by virtue of the Academic Fellowship credential, practitioners with demonstrated proficiency in oral medicine, where display of such credentials is permitted by law.
To encourage practitioners to pursue higher levels of knowledge and skill in the practice of Oral Medicine by formally recognizing such attainment with the Academic Fellowship credential.
Applications for the Academic Fellowship Examination are due to the Academy office by February 1 of each year. Applications will not be accepted after the deadline. Please submit your application by Friday, February 1, 2013 to qualify to sit for the Academic Fellowship Examination at the 2013 AAOM Annual Meeting in San Antonio, Texas. The deadline is firm.
Criteria for eligibility:
- Membership in the American Academy of Oral Medicine for at least two years.
- Attendance of at least two annual meetings, one of which may be the year the examination is taken.
- Demonstration of proficiency in oral medicine through teaching oral medicine, a residency program, hospital affiliation, oral medicine publications, and continuing education courses in oral medicine.
- Prospective fellows must submit of an application form and a curriculum vitae documenting requirements for eligibility, above.
- Successful completion of a written examination to be given at the annual meeting.
- Fellows must be in attendance at the annual meeting in which their fellowship is received. Those not in attendance forfeit the fellowship for that year; Fellow status award will not be mailed to recipient.
Click here to download the Fellowship Examination Application
Click here for resources for the Fellowship Examination.
Click here to download sample Fellowship Examination questions.
Click here to download the sample Fellowship Examination answer key.
Please note: In order to maintain Fellow status, recipient must be able to document attendance at least two AAOM annual meetings within the last 5 years.
For further information or an application, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (425) 778-6162.